[Swift-devel] Re: scheduling

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Mar 31 02:53:56 CDT 2010

there was (and I think still is) a bluriness about what swift's data
replication handling should be.

for example, should it be for swift to keep track of where it has placed
data on sites? (Here is "mydata.txt" locally- process it and put the
result back locally and if you happen to do some persistent replication
that you cna use later, fine)

should it be for arbitrary actors (perhaps swift, perhaps other people)
placing replicas of data in arbitrary locations on the network, not
necessarily attached to 'sites' (in the sites.xml sense): (my data is
stored at http://a.com/repo/foo.txt and also at
http://b.com/guests/monkey/tree - I don't mind which you pull to an
execution site as I am asserting that they are equal).

Those cases are similar but different and somehow I get the feeling that
there is not a clearly defined consensus.

--
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/ben/