[Swift-devel] Re: Swift configuration interface

David Kelly dk0966 at cs.ship.edu
Wed Jun 30 06:29:48 CDT 2010

Hello all,

Here are some updates on swiftconfig. After thinking about how to make the
command line simpler, I ended making some changes to the old design rather
than rewriting a new one. It's similar to the original, but should hopefully
makes things a little simpler by allowing smaller, simpler changes.
swiftconfig -add <blah> copies over the template, swiftconfig -modify <blah>
-foo bar allows the user to change one setting. Here's an example of how it
works so far:

# See what's available to use
$ swiftconfig -templates
multisite-ssh
teraport
pads-pbs-coasters-ssh
teraport-remote-pbs-coasters-ssh
teraport-local-pbs-coasters
pads-local-pbs-coasters
pads-remote-ssh
teraport-remote-ssh
pads-local-pbs
teraport-local-pbs
pads-pbs-multisite-coasters
teraport-pbs-multisite-coasters

$ swiftconfig -add pads-remote-ssh

$ swiftconfig -modify pads-remote-ssh -directory /home/david/swiftwork

Sites.xml entry
  <pool handle="pads-remote-ssh">
    <execution provider="ssh" url="login1.pads.ci.uchicago.edu" />
    <filesystem provider="ssh" url="login1.pads.ci.uchicago.edu" />
    <profile key="jobThrottle" namespace="karajan">0</profile>
    <workdirectory>/home/david/swiftwork</workdirectory>
  </pool>

This is checked into SVN at
https://svn.ci.uchicago.edu/svn/vdl2/usertools/swift/swiftconfig.

I've also been doing some preliminary work on the web version. If you want
to get an idea of the interface, check
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~davidk/test.pl. Ideally, at the edit screen next
to each option should be a question mark. Then clicking on the question mark
takes you to an anchor in the user guide (or maybe a pop-up from the same
page) with a detailed explanation of what that setting actually does.

I still need to get profiles working, an integrated web server, deletion
from the web, more options, linking to user guide, cleanup, tuning, more..
but I just wanted to get this out to you all to see what you thought so far

David