[Swift-devel] stuff to do

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 12 11:52:44 CDT 2010

Here's my view on these:

> 2. test/fix coaster file staging

This would be useful for both real apps and (I think) for CDM testing. I would do this first.

I would then add:

5. Adjustments needed, if any, on multicore handling in PBS and SGE provider.

6. Adjustments and fixes for reliability and logging, if needed, in Condor-G provider.

I expect that 5 & 6 would be small tasks, and they are not yet clearly defined. I think that other people could do them.

Maybe add:

7. -tui fixes. Seems not to be working so well on recent tests; several of the screens, including the source-code view, seem not to be working.

Then:

> 1. make swift core faster

I would do this second; I think you said you need about 7-10 days to try things and see what can be done, maybe more after that if the exploration suggests things that will take much (re)coding?

> 3. standalone coaster service

The current manual coasters is proving useful.
> 4. swift shell

Lets defer (4) for now; if we can instead run swift repeatedly and either have the coaster worker pool re-connect quickly to each new swift, or quickly start new pools within the same cluster job(s), that would suffice for now.

Justin, do you want to weigh in on these?

Thanks,

Mike