[Swift-devel] Next Swift release

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 9 08:33:23 CST 2010

My thinking on this is:

- trunk has many fixes that the users Im working with depend on, in particular to coasters.

- most users Ive worked with are running trunk from builds Ive placed on a range of machines

- I *suspect* that trunk is as stable as branches/1.0

- the main point of this release effort is to test a release on a set of site configs, in addition to the localhost language tests

- if we're doing that, we should push forward and test a branch of today's trunk (call it branches/0.91) and make trunk pass those tests.

- if we see that this 0.91 does not readily pass site-based stress tests, we can fall back and run those same tests against branches/0.91. In this case I would do some re-naming: 1.0 to 0.91, and trunk to 0.92 - i.e. saving the "1.0" number for a release that does more cleanup of docs and config tools, and is timed for a point when we can do more effective publicity for it.

Thats what I would like to do.  I suspect that the work to get trunk stable (ie passing site-based stress tests) vs the current branches/1.0 stable will be about equal. Even if testing on a trunk-based release takes us longer (ie stretches into January) I feel it will be worth the effort.

Mihael, I'd see two major tasks you'd need to take on in this: integration of branches/1.0 fixes and trunk fixes into 0.91 (or 0.92 if we want to allow a fallback), and fixing bugs deemed to be release showstoppers.

Can we all live with this plan and move forward on it now?

- Mike