[Swift-devel] Next Swift release

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 6 07:56:10 CST 2010

Lets call the release 0.10 (oh-point-ten, per Ben) and save 1.0 for something further down the road, when we are in better shape to publicize.

Regarding features, lets spend all our effort on testing to make sure the release works on an important set of systems and configurations, which we should now list. Something like:

local
pbs (on PADS, Fusion, and a set of TG machines)
sge (on Ranger, IBIcluster, and a few PSD machines)
BG/P (intrepid, surveyor)
OSG over Condor-G
UCI systems?

If possible:

Sicortex
Amazon EC2
BioNimbus cloud
Magellan
FutureGrid

Im happy for the initial test to be a simple "catsn" script of N cat jobs w/ one file in and out.

Each of the systems above would need a few variations of coaster vs plain and a few data staging configs: local, provider-staging, gridftp.

If the doc set can be made release-specific and "testable" for 0.10 that would be great. If not, defer the per-release doc effort to 0.11.

The main features I'd like to see in 0.11 would be some of the error and logging improvements, and swiftconfig/swiftrun. Maybe support for Globus Online staging.

I dont want to think about those for 0.10 as I think "it works" is the most important feature for this next release. Lets define a test plan for the configs above and focus on how to automatically and repeatedly (ie nightly) validate the release on all these configs. That means a set of sites/tc/properties files and the integration of the tests, ideally, into the test harness.

- Mike