[Swift-devel] Swift Karajan debugging commands

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 26 15:21:19 CDT 2010

----- "Jonathan Monette" <jon.monette at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... when the hang occurs, I type v for the inhook you set up
>
> and I get
> Register Futures:
>
> and then nothing.  Does this mean there is no listeners set up and
> that
> is why it hung?

I'd heard about but forgotten about these debugging hooks (t and v commands). I tried a small example and documented it in the CookBook for now:

http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/wiki/bin/view/SWFT/SwiftCookBook#Debugging_hung_Swift_tasks_Karaj

Please elaborate if there's more useful things to state about this.

It seems there is also a "d" command that wants an X DISPLAY to run.

It also seems that the output can be made less noisy so that the meaning of the debug info stands out more clearly.