[Swift-devel] Error messages and execution retries

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 18 16:54:05 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 21:42 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
> > faster. And while we could automate that, it comes at a cost. We already
> > have mechanisms to find out about errors as soon as they happen, and
> > it's called lazy.errors=false and retries=0.
>
> Right.
>
> But I think there are 'ways' or 'modes' or 'fashions' of using Swift that
> differ. (or 'use-cases' if you like that word). One is that you want
> lazy.errors=false and retries=0. One is that you want non-lazy errors and
> lots of retries. Presenting that choice to the user as two separate
> parameters is not the friendliest way to do it.

Maybe.

But you should note that the discussion started not in the direction of
friendlier presentation but in that of more verbosity (which to me
smells of less friendly).

Point being that friendly may mean simple to express or indicative of
what happens inside. And this conflict, with high level stuff such as
swift (or even Java), I don't think will go away.