[Swift-devel] Error messages and execution retries

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 18 15:19:08 CDT 2010

Sarah, this seems like an excellent first improvement to tackle in the project of improving Swift messages and logs.

The problem is that Swift buffers some class of runtime error message and emits them at the end of the run *if and only if the run completes*.  In the very common case where the user kills the swift command with ^C because it seems to be getting nowhere, the use never sees these critical messages unless they can fush them out of some stdout/err files deep in e.g. the work directory.

I think these messages should be clearly presented in the log or some other place as soon as they occur.

- Mike