[Swift-devel] cleanup fails on abe

wilde at mcs.anl.gov wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 15 14:20:13 CDT 2010

 If netcat blocks we should have it time out in a few seconds at most.

It would be good to see where its blocking. Im not sure where that would happen to send a UDP packet - its one reason we're using UDP.

The next time anyone sees a hung nc, can you find out what its waiting on, with some ps options like this:

  ps -o pid,wchan=WIDE-WCHAN-COLUMN -o comm

(Others may suggest a better way to do this?)

I see this note about netcat blocking:

From:  http://nc110.sourceforge.net/

"Where many other network apps use the FIONBIO ioctl to set non-blocking I/O
on network sockets, netcat uses straightforward blocking I/O everywhere.
This makes everything very lock-step, relying on the network and filesystem
layers to feed in data when needed.  Data read in is completely written out
before any more is fetched.  This may not be quite the right thing to do under
some OSes that don't do timed select() right, but this remains to be seen."

I dont see where it would block trying to send a UDP packet, so either there are cases where it can (eg buffers full? firewalls making a send() hang?), or maybe its also doing some kind of read/recv?

- Mike