[Swift-devel] Re: ranger block scheduling

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 27 11:27:21 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 21:57 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Hi Glen,
>
> The coaster block allocation params are listed in the users guide
> section on coasters:
>
> http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/userguide.php#coasters
>
> which in turn refers you here for the details of the coaster params:
>
> http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/userguide.php#profile.globus
>
> Note that the maxWallTime setting of the job (eg from tc.data or
> sites.xml) affects how jobs get placed into blocks.
>
> You should use the latest svn rev - to get Mihael's latest fixes.
>
> I think we need to write more explanation and provide examples for how
> to set all the parameters. I think the defaults use only one worker node
> per block, from a quick read.

Right.

> Mihael, maybe you can provide a few examples of settings that work well
> together, or show some common usages, and explain which params you
> typically need to set eg on Ranger or other TG sites.
> (workersPerNode=16, 8 etc. of course).

Right. On Ranger it's workersPerNode=16. Depending on the queue you may
want to set slots (3 on "development"), maxNodes (16 on "development")
and maxtime (7200 on "development"). Those are the system/queue
dependent settings that are needed in order to prevent jobs that are
outside of the queue spec, which would cause things to fail with the
insightful "The job manager detected an invalid script response" error
message.