[Swift-devel] Re: ranger block scheduling

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 26 21:57:23 CDT 2009

Hi Glen,

The coaster block allocation params are listed in the users guide
section on coasters:

http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/userguide.php#coasters

which in turn refers you here for the details of the coaster params:

http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/userguide.php#profile.globus

Note that the maxWallTime setting of the job (eg from tc.data or
sites.xml) affects how jobs get placed into blocks.

You should use the latest svn rev - to get Mihael's latest fixes.

I think we need to write more explanation and provide examples for how
to set all the parameters. I think the defaults use only one worker node
per block, from a quick read.

Mihael, maybe you can provide a few examples of settings that work well
together, or show some common usages, and explain which params you
typically need to set eg on Ranger or other TG sites.
(workersPerNode=16, 8 etc. of course).

- Mike