[Swift-devel] Swift and BGP plots

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 27 14:48:44 CDT 2009

OK, so this looks to be a bit more complex then. Can you suggest a way
to extract the Active and Complete timestamps (along with the task ID)?
It seems that if I grep for JOB_SUBMISSION, the status Active is not
found on the same line, so I can't filter according to those two
keywords. Also, the Completed keyword also comes up with many other
hits. Any ideas on how to get the info I need (with cat, grep, etc)
without writing some custom script/program that actually understands in
depth the logging of the Swift log?

Thanks,
Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 14:17 -0500, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>
>> OK, I converted the logs, and here is what I got.
>>
>> The thing that bugs me is that things ran faster (per task) at the
>> larger scale (a bit counter intuitive).
>>

> Nope. Same workload but more processors.
>

>>  Also, the maximum number of concurrent tasks I found was 20K, in both
>> experiments. This doesn't seem right, as the experiments should have
>> 4K or 6K active tasks at any time.
>>

> Right. You should see around 4k or 6k max active tasks.
>

>>  Could I be looking at the wrong entries from the Swift logs?
>>
>> I did this to get the data I needed from the Swift logs:
>> cat dc-4000.log | grep "JOB_START" > dc-4000-start-end.txt
>> cat dc-4000.log | grep "JOB_END" >> dc-4000-start-end.txt
>>
>> Is this correct? Or should I be looking for other job events?
>>

> You should probably be looking for "Task(type=JOB_SUBMISSION...) setting
> status to Active" and "Task(type=JOB_SUBMISSION...) setting status to
> Completed". Or something like that.
>
> JOB_START and JOB_END are statuses for the Swift execute2 processes.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
NSF/CRA Computing Innovation Fellow
Center for Ultra-scale Computing and Information Security (CUCIS)
Northwestern University
2145 Sheridan Rd, Tech M384
Evanston, IL 60208-3118
Cel:   1-847-722-0876