[Swift-devel] Swift and BGP plots

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 27 14:36:18 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 14:17 -0500, Ioan Raicu wrote:
> OK, I converted the logs, and here is what I got.
>
> The thing that bugs me is that things ran faster (per task) at the
> larger scale (a bit counter intuitive).

Nope. Same workload but more processors.

>  Also, the maximum number of concurrent tasks I found was 20K, in both
> experiments. This doesn't seem right, as the experiments should have
> 4K or 6K active tasks at any time.

Right. You should see around 4k or 6k max active tasks.

>  Could I be looking at the wrong entries from the Swift logs?
>
> I did this to get the data I needed from the Swift logs:
> cat dc-4000.log | grep "JOB_START" > dc-4000-start-end.txt
> cat dc-4000.log | grep "JOB_END" >> dc-4000-start-end.txt
>
> Is this correct? Or should I be looking for other job events?

You should probably be looking for "Task(type=JOB_SUBMISSION...) setting
status to Active" and "Task(type=JOB_SUBMISSION...) setting status to
Completed". Or something like that.

JOB_START and JOB_END are statuses for the Swift execute2 processes.