[Swift-devel] process hogging memory on ranger login

skenny at uchicago.edu skenny at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 20 13:01:13 CST 2009

so, using the latest swift (swift-r3116 cog-r2482) i submitted
a 1,179,647-job workflow to ranger...got this far:

Progress:  Submitted:16378  Active:1  Finished successfully:412482

was in that state for a while (~24hrs) showing this in the queue:

1143906   data       tg457040      Waiting 2944   01:10:00
Thu Nov 19 07:22:48

which seemed relatively normal (a job requesting that many
cores on ranger can sometimes be in the queue for quite some
time). however, i then got an email from tacc:

I have noticed that you have a java process running on Ranger
(login3). The process is consuming quite some resources. Since
it is running already for over a day, I assume that this is a
run-away process that is left over from something you did
earlier.

so, i killed the process on the login, but i wasn't sure what
to make of it...the job remains in the queue...i wonder if
it's ok to try a resume on this workflow or if that might
spawn another such process on the login (?)