[Swift-devel] block allocation

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 26 15:37:27 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 14:05 -0500, Zhao Zhang wrote:
> Hi, Mihael
>
> I read through the new content about coaster in user guide. Here I got
> several questions:
>
> Given the following case: we have 100 jobs, 5 worker nodes, and each
> worker node has 4 cores, which means
> we have 4 workers on each node.
>
> The profile key "Slot", it is defined as "How many maximum LRM
> jobs/worker blocks are allowed".
> Correct me if my understanding is incorrect. In the above case, 100
> jobs/5 nodes/4 workers=5 jobs/worker
>
> So if we set "Slot" to 4,

Set the slots to the maximum number of concurrent jobs the LRM allows
you to have. On Ranger that would be 50 (as far as I remember), and on
BGP, that would be 6.

>  this above test case won't finish because 5 is
> going out of the bound 4. Is this correct?

No. Once old blocks are done, new blocks are created.

> Also, could you point me to a sites.xml definition you used for the
> local test? That will be helpful for me to get
> the ideas. Thanks.

<config>
  <pool handle="localhost">
    <gridftp  url="local://localhost" />
    <execution provider="coaster" jobmanager="local:local"
url="localhost" />
    <workdirectory >/var/tmp</workdirectory>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="slots">4</profile>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="nodeGranularity">2</profile>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="lowOverAllocation">5</profile>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="highOverAllocation">1</profile>
        <profile namespace="globus" key="maxNodes">2</profile>
        <profile namespace="globus"
key="remoteMonitorEnabled">true</profile>
  </pool>
</config>