[Swift-devel] block allocation

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon May 25 10:51:42 CDT 2009

At least on the BG/P using Cobalt, the reservations are based on user
IDs and queues. Once a reservation is in place, and it has certain users
associated with that reservation, those users can simply submit jobs to
the specific queue (unique to that reservation, and is usually named by
the sys admin that sets up the reservation, e.g. R.Falkon-8K), and the
jobs will run under that reservation. Other systems such as
PBS/SGE/Condor could be different, I don't know.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 07:16 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 May 2009, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>>

>>> PS: On the topic of static allocations, in people's experience, how does
>>> one specify reservations on various resources?
>>>
>> I've only done that by sending email to help at teragrid.org, which is a
>> relatively high latency and expensive operation.
>>

> Right. But once you have the reservation, I assume you have a mechanism
> of specifying which of your jobs should make use of it and which
> shouldn't. Like a reservation id. That mechanism is what I'm interested
> in.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department