[Swift-devel] Heads-up on new Swift user - running scip for genomics

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 20 12:59:39 CDT 2009

We are starting to work with Chris Henry, a postdoc (I think) of Rick
Stevens who is running "scip" integer programming jobs for genomics studies.

His jobs will run (eg on Ranger) for 1-4 hours, and he needs about 1000
jobs per study.  I suspect the times will cluster under 2 hours, and he
sets 4 hours as the max.

The jobs each have 1 input and 1 output file, O(1MB) each.

We'll be trying this on Ranger and then other TG systems as we get the
code more widely compiled. Its running now on Ranger. SiCortex and BGP
will also be of interest, as will Kraken.

Ive asked Zhao to adopt this as a user test case; more on that approach
later. (Basically, for steady tests that consume a lot of resources, Im
asking Zhao to explore ways to run tests from lists of scientifically
useful results. Thats in addition to basic sanity tests of simpe cases
that are easier to troubleshoot).