[Swift-devel] Re: What is best OSG site test suite ?

Jing Tie tiejing at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:43:00 CDT 2009

Hi Mike,

I think others might have better tools, but I can list three here as
possible options.

The first one is "osg-vo-test" developed by Chris Green. It lists
probing results for all the sites in a certain VO (e.g.
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~jtie/osg-vo-test/osg_summary/2008727-19:20:43.html).
I attached his announcement about this tool in the end of the email.

The second one "test_osg_ce" is used by Zhengxiong, Xi and me a lot.
It's a simple package that I developed based on site_verify.pl. It
runs the script (check authentication, globus-job-run, gridftp, user
directory...) for each site in a user configuration file, and print
out the good ones. I have attached it in the email.

The last one is RSV developed by GOC. It runs similar scripts as
site_verify.pl by system administrators, and reports to a centralized
server periodically. You can find it on MyOSG
(http://myosg.grid.iu.edu/about). I think it won't be hard to setup an
independent version for user.

Hope it helps,
Jing

Email from Chris Green:

Hi,

I am happy to announce the first general release of an extensible
VO-centric site testing kit, "osg-vo-test".

To explain why you might be interested in this package, I quote from the
overview
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests#Overview>
on the package's home TWiki page
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests>:

This package is an attempt to allow /application owners/ (by which I
mean people responsible for running an application on OSG) to
characterize OSG sites from the point of view of being able to run your
application. Questions can be asked of each site in multiple ways, for
instance:

   * Command line, eg:

     ping my-ce.my-domain

   * Fork job, eg:

     globus-job-run my-ce.my-domain /usr/bin/printenv

   * Batch job via CondorG.

   * ReSS, the *Re*source *S*election *S*ystem.

   * VORS, the *VO* *R*esource *S*elector.

The results are presented primarily in the form of an HTML table
<http://user-support.opensciencegrid.org/osg-vo-tests/site-test-examples/fermilab/20070927_004422/fermilab_summary.html>
with results columns (possibly multiple columns per test), with a link
to more detailed information for the test.

In addition, the summary results are available in .CSV format
<http://user-support.opensciencegrid.org/osg-vo-tests/site-test-examples/fermilab/20070927_004422/fermilab_summary.csv>
for machine readability; a true XML format may be forthcoming if there
is enough demand.

The application owner can write new test modules inheriting from the
old; for more details, see Making your own module
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests#Making_your_own_test_module>.
In addition, existing tests are highly configurable and allow for the
addition of new results columns with minimal effort; for a quick
example, see the Getting Started
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests#Getting_Started>
section; and also the detail
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests#More_Details>
section.

It is extremely straightforward, for example, to test basic
authorization at a site from the point of view of your own voms-proxy;
and other tests are showcased in example control scripts; or provided as
standalone test modules. The example summary page
<http://user-support.opensciencegrid.org/osg-vo-tests/site-test-examples/fermilab/20070927_004422/fermilab_summary.html>
shows a wide range of tests of which this extensible system is capable.

Please, visit the package's home TWiki page
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests>,
download
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests#Download_Source>
the source; use
<https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/twiki/bin/view/UserGroup/OsgVoSiteTests#Getting_Started>;
and give feedback <mailto:osg-user-group?subject=osg-vo-tests>. The aim
is to make it easy for application owners to put together their own
suite or suites of tests to analyze sites across the OSG from the
perspective of the needs of their own application(s) without having to
re-invent the wheel to interrogate all the different sources of
information about OSG sites.