[Swift-devel] towards a 1.0 release

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue May 5 04:42:49 CDT 2009

Mike has indicated that he would like a 1.0 release towards the end of
August.

I would like to determine:

  i) is there consensus on what a 1.0 release is? (I suspect not)
  ii) is a 1.0 release achieveable by the above date (which I think
      influences i)
  iii) if so, what should happen between now and then

My personal opinions on what should happen if we are to have 1.0 release
follow:

I think for an august-release 1.0, major work whch is not already
substantially in-progress should not be started. Concretely, I think that
means that Mihael continues to work on coasters and I continue my
provenance work, and nothing major happens between now and 1.0.

There should be an intermediate (0.95) release around the end of June.
There absolutely should not be a rush to cram buggy features into this
release at the last minute.

Between 0.95 and 1.0, there should be a two month period of heightened
bugfixing, testing, documentation.

Development of new features can take place, but they must not land in the
trunk before 1.0 - they should be managed out-of-trunk in whatever way the
developer in question prefers. Development of such new features should to
be allowed to seriously detract from the 1.0 release process.

Any deadlines which are likely to require serious amounts of developer
time between now and 1.0 should be declared now; and surprise removal of
developers to work on non-1.0 work which could have been declared at this
stage but weren't should not be permitted. For me, the only such deadline
is the provenance challenge workshop in mid-June.