[Swift-devel] could we set the job sequence without a file dependency?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Mar 24 16:37:35 CDT 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Ian Foster wrote:

> This was the case in PCN when people were trying to do printf-like output. So
> you introduced a version of printf that bound a variable when it was done, and
> then wrote something like:

> BUT -- maybe we don't really do output like this in Swift programs (I don't
> think it is common, is it)?

Its not common to do "meat output" like that, no - all of that comes from
procedures which generate files, which tend to not need sequencing of
output.

Most of what you've talked about seems debugging oriented - none of the
debugging I've done with people has really felt like I've wanted that kind
of sequence operator. But I think some debugging-oriented something (be it
language features, runtime options, something) would be useful - but its
not clear to me what.