[Swift-devel] testing

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 17 12:04:12 CDT 2009

On 3/17/09 11:30 AM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> So I think that, at this point, if we're serious about running things
> production-style on teragrid or osg, an appropriate testing effort is
> required.

I agree.

> In the past our hands were tied due to our inability to fix and deploy
> gram issues on both those places. With the shift towards coasters and
> local providers, we have, at least in theory, overcome the issue.

I think your new Condor provider provides the hopefully final missing piece.

> However, in order for it to also be in practice, we need to make sure
> that things actually work, and that can only be done with testing or a
> magic wand. I don't have the latter, so we'll have to do testing.

yes.

> There are probably a few issues still left to address, one of which is
> to make sure that coasters are an acceptable way of running things on
> OSG. I suspect this would require some negotiation with the right people
> from OSG, and I don't know who those people are.

I do: Its Ruth, and several people in various working groups whose names
I can gather and send out. I'll make the initial contacts.

What I need are test data from various scale runs that prove Swift is
fast, scalable, and "safe" (ie doesnt harm things).

This is all coming together well. For example, a user (Glen Hocky) was
able to run ZHangiong's "ADEM" installer to push OOPS to 5-8 OSG sites
and then run a swift workflow using them. A good test effort would allow
us to expand that to a great success story.

I'd like to see this effort build on the OSG site list scripts, and
equivalent REST-based scripts that are now available at info.teragrid.org.

I think you should make this your next focus, Mihael, and just get
started; then as you go we can gradually through discussion align this
into a testing effort that really opens up OSG and TG to Swift users.

That'll be a great step.