[Swift-devel] another attempt at a getting started with provenance section (fwd)

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Mar 17 05:29:57 CDT 2009

I've fiddled a lot with the provenance db code to make installation and
configuration easier; and the associated docbook page at
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~benc/provenance.html to have more of a focus
on running your own db (in either sqlite3 for a personal-sized db or in
postgres for a larger db).

Section 2 of the above web page gives notes on importing your own log
files into a database of your choosing, and section 3 gives some notes on
query commands that I implemented a while ago and fixed up yesterday.

I also added some more commentary in the SQL schema, prov-init.sql, in the
provenancedb checkout, to help with creating your own queries.

If you're going to play with this, I recommend starting with the sqlite3
mode - that provides a substantially easier to administer low-end database
compared to postgres.

I think this is basically the form I want the provenance db to look for
the next few months. I plan on adding more information (i.e. more tables
and more columns) and functionality, but largely in a backwards compatible
way.