[Swift-devel] Open Provenance Model log exporter

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Mar 5 16:45:21 CST 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Ian Foster wrote:

> That sounds interesting. Are there any decent tools for
> analyzing/processing OPM logs that we can make use of?

Not that I'm aware of, as its all very new - a (perhaps vain - cf CEDPS)
hope in participating in PC3 is that we'll entangle ourselves with things
that consume what we produce.

> One issue that I recall from past discussions was that Swift's
> functional model makes provenance in some ways "simpler" than in other
> systems. Do we lose that simplicity when we export to OPM?

I think that OPM doesn't make things any more complicated. What looks like
a basic relation in the Swift provenance work so far pretty much maps into
a basic relation in OPM. So I am (surprisingly?) not very cynical about
the model.