[Swift-devel] Swift user guide

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 2 00:27:38 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 23:25 -0600, Ian Foster wrote:

> 2) Arrays: I gather from below that the size of an array is defined by
> assignments to it. This seems confusing and dangerous to me: doesn't
> it require a global analysis, which must ultimately be undecidable, to
> determine whether an array is closed?

You don't need to add a level of indirection :)

Iterate() makes swift termination and array closing undecidable (and so
does recursion*). And I think we want it that way in order to support
problems of the kind "repeat until sufficiently good results are
obtained".

(*) except with recursion you're guaranteed to run out of memory
eventually