[Swift-devel] hprof profiling of coaster services

Allan Espinosa aespinosa at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 23 17:11:39 CDT 2009

ok this looks like a good replicable case.

the workflow is 2000 invocations of touch using 066-many.swift

run04.tar.gz (logs and a "top -b"  dump for the coaster service).  cpu
utilization averages to 99-100% .   i ran this for five trials and got
the same results.

run05.tar.gz - same run with profiling information. in java.hprof.bin

2009/6/19 Mihael Hategan <hategan at mcs.anl.gov>:
> On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 18:30 -0500, Allan Espinosa wrote:
>> here's a script recording without profiling of top:
>>
>> http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~aespinosa/top_vanilla.gz
>>
>> it still consumes some cpu. but does not spike to 200% utilization.
>
> Right, 10% != 200%.
>
> Now, as you're probably already guessing, I would need:
> 1. a situation (workflow/site/etc.) in which the usage does go crazy
> without the profiler (as in what triggered you getting kicked off
> ranger); repeatable
> 2. a profiler dump of a run in such a situation
>
> Btw, the ranger issue, where was swift running?

on communicado.