[Swift-devel] Status of coasters

Stuart Martin smartin at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 13 09:58:38 CST 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at Feb 13, 9:40 AM, Tim Freeman wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:32:43 -0600
> Mihael Hategan <hategan at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>>> I was thinking/hoping we could have a single setup script, which
>>> we'd
>>> pre-install where required, that would configure and start a
>>> personal
>>> WSRF container for the user. Which would be work for us to create,
>>> install and maintain, but, if successful, would be transparent to
>>> the user.
>>
>> You need root to configure sudo.
>
> Why would you need sudo for gram if it mapped to the same account?

You wouldn't.  sudo is not needed if the DN of the requester is the
same as the DN used to start the container.

>> I also don't think you can easily automate the gt4 installation
>> process.
>> There's manual configuration that needs to be done. I suggest
>> installing
>> your own gt4 once to which I can submit jobs to get an idea of what's
>> involved.
>
> For non-gram, there's an auto script here:
>
>    http://workspace.globus.org/vm/TP2.2/admin/quickstart.html#auto-container
>
> The questions it asks users (is this the right hostname? etc) could
> also be
> scripted.
>
> Getting from there to GRAM4 auto-configuration should not be too
> much of a step
> (the nimbus contextualization scripts have done it for gram4).

You could do this and if you avoid staging, then this may work fine
for GRAM4.

But also, we want to have GRAM2 sites to start to use the SEG to
remove a significant portion of the GRAM2 scalability problem.  I
think that would be best and simplest solution to focus on.  Maybe we
can start with a site where you need more scalability and the admin
would want to work with us on that?