[Swift-devel] walltime compulsion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Feb 12 10:41:35 CST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> My slight preference is to keep required fields to a minimum, to make the time
> somewhat higher (to to reduce surprise job terminations at the expense of
> surprise at winding up in slow queue).

In (most?) PBS deployments, you don't end up in a slow queue - you get
your job rejected. Queues are selected by specifying a queue name,
separately from the walltime.

This requires low-end users to have a better understanding of the submit
stack than even someone like you who has worked on grid stuff for many
years has; I think thats a nice argument for not compelling this.

> If its easy, is a global property for the default time reasonable?  So a
> user could tweak one value for all their wall times?

That could be implemented but feels a bit messy to me - if you know what
the time to specify is for your apps, and can take a max() of it to set
the default, then you also have enough understanding and information to
specify it in tc.data.