[Swift-devel] scheduler stuff for Google Summer of Code 2009

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 11 23:31:14 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 22:36 -0600, Ian Foster wrote:
> Mihael:
>
> I think we are exploring the limits of email as a communication
> vehicle :-)

I just think some subjects require more emails than others :)

> I wasn't talking about GRAM at all.

I know. I gave it as an example, because we both know clearly what it
is.

Let me back up a bit:

>> If I write a program that performs a series of operations on many
>> files, involving 1M tasks during its execution, but with only 10,000
>> active at each step, why is that not interesting?

It is interesting, but that part where you can have a 1M workflow in
Swift with only 10,000 karajan threads active at a time is what I'm
questioning.

So before we talk about better I/O or job execution providers for the 1M
workflow, we need to make sure that the engine can run the 1M workflow
in the first place. Otherwise the I/O can be as fast as you want and
swift still won't run the workflow.