[Swift-devel] scheduler stuff for Google Summer of Code 2009

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Feb 11 15:52:33 CST 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> I do not think that this issue is the bottleneck here. For every application

I wasn't attempting to provide a comprehensive summary of stuff that won't
scale... mostly I wanted one example of another issue.

> So I think that one order of magnitude improvement could be achieved by
> addressing that 10-20k problem (or by somehow having fewer karajan threads).

20k per app invocation is pretty heavyweight when invocations are
parallelised.

I suspect that fewer karajan threads at any point in time can be brought
about by some streaming-like approach - rather than n elements to iterate
over forking n karajan threads at by saying parallelFor and having a
simultaneous thread for each (of which most threads, for large enough n,
will block), that construct could perhaps be made to act over time. So
stream-like (lists spread over time as well as space) behaviour for
foreach.