[Swift-devel] Planning next set of Swift features and releases

Ian Foster foster at anl.gov
Fri Apr 24 17:08:13 CDT 2009

It has been a persistent problem getting TG and OSG to consider VMs.
The reasons are mixed: in my view, some good, some bad. The good
reasons include the difficulties inherent in getting Xen/VMware
support for the sometimes odd software found on high-end systems.
E.g., on TG-UC, both 64-bit hardware and GPFS have been sources of
problems. The bad reason is a persistent conservatism.

Good news is that there are a growing number of so-called "cloud"
testbeds appearing (albeit small ones), based on Nimbus and
Eucalyptus. Also, it seems that Argonne will have a 6,000-core "cloud"
system in the near future--a perfect place for such applications.
Perhaps that will be first of many.

Ian.