[Swift-devel] Swift + Condor-G

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 23 17:01:58 CDT 2009

On 4/23/09 4:16 PM, Ben Clifford wrote:
>> Right now, users "trade" sites.xml entries like recipes for secret sauces, and
>> it would be good to provide them a cookbook or some better process.
>
> The OSG site file generator exists and generates nice site files for OSG
> VOs, for as long as OSG continues to use ReSS; perhaps another year or so
> based on previous OSG information system practice.

Thats certainly a good start, but settings of Globus or Karajan
namespace variables like throttle etc remain to be done, as do coaster
settings.

> Its not clear to me if TeraGrid publishes enough useful information in a
> mechanically recoverable form for a similar thing to happen for TG sites -
> what I've seen is the web pages which seem very human readable and mostly
> sufficient; and the MDS stuff, which seemed rather sparse though usable.

It seems to - Glen did what seems a good start on a TG rough equivalent
to the OSG mechanism. I urge him to post and share it (or repost ;)

> We could have a manually curated list of sites; but that requires ongoing
> curation which is a non-trivial ongoing task. The distribution already
> contains such a manually curated list.
>
> Theres also a set of sites in the tests/sites/ directory. In principle,
> that could become a general purpose site repository which the Community
> would maintain, wiki-style; but the existing sites list is also open to
> Community maintenance and has received few if any updates.

The automated version seems best once its complete and usable out of the
box.

Good (complete) manual working defs for a modest set of example sites
might be a good stopgap if automated is not achievable in some short
time (say 4 weeks and certainly by next point release).