[Swift-devel] Swift + Condor-G

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 23 14:04:11 CDT 2009

I was pondering whether this would work with coasters, but then realized
some of the complexities.

0.9 user guide would be a good place to document which coaster job
manager configurations work, what scaling/throttling limits to be aware
of, how/when to use the new condor-g capability, and what coasters
entries work best where (eg, gt2:gt2:pbs, gt2:pbs, etc)

Users today need to navigate through a tricky sites.xml config process
constrained by limits that are hard to understand and deal with:

- throttle to limit jobs sent under GT2 GRAM to < 40
- how to avoid exceeding this with coasters
- what LRM is on each site
- what providers are available (eg pbs and condor but not sge)
- what coaster combinations work and dont, from where

Some way of making this as clear as possible in the users guide or
through some set of preconfigured sites files would be very helpful.

Right now, users "trade" sites.xml entries like recipes for secret
sauces, and it would be good to provide them a cookbook or some better
process.