[Swift-devel] Planning next set of Swift features and releases

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 22 12:24:25 CDT 2009

The problem with VMs at the moment is that most of the resources our
users need to run on at the moment are not VM-enabled, and wont be in
say the next 12 months or more.

Automated deployers like ADEM show signs of working well *iff* the user
app installs nicely.

Many do, some dont. And the ADEM model offers a nice way to find the
sites on which an app *can* install and run cleanly. So a user can start
with those sites, and gradually work to improve their build/install
process to handle the sites that pose problems.

Anecdotal story: Glen tried ADEM on OOPS, guided only by Zhengxiong's
document. With little effort he was able to run on 8 sites. He sent me
this: "Zhengxiong and I used ADEM and got oops working on up to 8 osg
sites. Swift script is identical to the one above. (by up to, I mean
those are the ones it installed successfully on for Engage VO, and we're
not finished testing). "

Getting 8 OSG sites in a first test is a very promising sign - if a new
user could do that, that would start out pretty happy.

VMs I think are definitely part of the long-term picture but not the
near term. I dont want us to wait for VMs rather than going after the
immediate low-hanging fruit.