[Swift-devel] Planning next set of Swift features and releases

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 22 10:44:16 CDT 2009

On 4/22/09 10:25 AM, Ben Clifford wrote:
>> - then we wanted a simple web interface where OOPS users could locate the
>> (science) results of runs
>
> Thats the sort of thing which would have been useful for the provenance
> project to have had interaction on.

Yes. We started that discussion *immediately* after the paper was
submitted. On 4/15 we started a thread on this list, subject "oops
provenance":

http://mail.ci.uchicago.edu/pipermail/swift-devel/2009-April/005119.html

I appreciate that in the short term,
> it doesn't help your immediate results, and almost definitely actively
> hinders due to the increased cost of development. But that is the way in
> which the provenance stuff will move forwards - by having people who are
> prepared to bear to pain of being early users, just like happened for
> mainline Swift 2..3y ago, just like coaster users in the past year.

Yes. Recall, what the user wanted was a web page that showed science
plots and protein folds visualized, and tables of science numbers.  That
was done, for live use, and was spurred by a paper deadline.

Then right after the paper I send the message above saying "lets get
this connected to provenance".

Seems like the right approach was taken, and is heading in the direction
  you suggest.