[Swift-devel] Planning next set of Swift features and releases

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 22 10:16:05 CDT 2009

On 4/22/09 9:09 AM, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:
>
>> And we have a live and growing user group in OOPS who can benefit from
>> provenance as I stated on the list in the past week or two. (and who in fact
>> has built a simple web interface to view swift results)
>
> You repeatedly state that people want it. Ian repeatedly states that
> people want it. No one gives me feed back. Stop stating that people want
> it and give me feed back.
>
> Who has written this web interface?

Glen Hocky:

http://freedgroup.uchicago.edu/oops.html

Has it been discussed here?

I thought so, but maybe not.

> Does it
> use the existing provenance data base?

No.

> What is the project management
> failure that has caused this work to happen in secret?

None that I can see.  I have to go back through email - or you can - to
look for the point where I discussed the possibilities for OOPS provenance.

It was simply this:

- first, I worked with Glen to make a swift script to run their science
- then we ran these scripts (that was clearly on the list and in the open)
- then we wanted a simple web interface where OOPS users could locate
the (science) results of runs
- then we wrote a paper. That was discussed with you and Mihael. Mihael
was co-author on the submission for helping with coaster side (at the
the time I thought he would get deeper involved in scaling up runs)
- I wanted to post the paper to Swift, but before putting it on the list
I asked the science PIs for permission. They never answered, and posting
it fell off my plate.

^^^ OK, that was a project management failure. Sorry. Jeez.

- The paper is here and should be posted on the web when I get permission:

http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~wilde/OOPS.SC09.submitted.pdf

- The source code in the paper got "stylized" in the last minute to
shrink it down; A snapshot of the live running code is posted on the web
site listed first above. The code needs to get refined so that we can
post enough fragments of running code ot be readable.