[Swift-devel] switchable copious provenance logging

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 08:17:20 CDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Ian Foster wrote:

> > Given the fact that Swift programs describe the structure of computations,
> > we should be able to compress logs considerably, by reference to the
> > program. E.g., the program:

Taking that to its extreme, there is only a single log entry:

> go

which is the top level execution.

I think what is interesting in the logs, and what they almost entirely
consist of, is the stuff that can only be seen in retrospect - things like
the errors that are ignored in the below, or times of executions, or what
ran where.