[Swift-devel] Avoid copy of local files to work directory?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 19 09:24:50 CDT 2009

Is there a Swift setting to use links rather than copies to access input
files when you specify local data transfer with griftp
url=local://localhost.

Or better yet, to access the files directly?

I thought we had such a setting, but cant find it. Maybe I got that
confused with the links-vs-copies for workdir-to-jobdir. Or, Ben, was
that one of the 4 patches you did for some earlier Falkon testing about
a year ago?

If not, would such behavior be useful and feasible?
Its also being discussed in the CIO project, as some BG/P workflows
have similar issues.

I ask in this case because the NewsLab project has a script that is
processing a huge number of small files, with what seems to be high IO
and low CPU overhead.

This is running on TeraPort with data on the CI SAN GPFS.

Gabri is working on this for Svetlozar; I've suggested she send
measurements and log plots to the swift-user list for discussion.