[Swift-devel] feature request

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Apr 16 00:22:45 CDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> Zhao, based on Ben's suggestion and our earlier discussion, can you locate and
> try the Swift test suite, and then look in detail at, and try, the per-site
> suite.
>
> Im looking for an assessment of what it takes to create a branch of the suite
> to test coasters in th same manner that the sites are tested.

Put swift on your path and get a proxy.

Then:
 cd tests/sites
 ./run-all coaster/

This will start running the tests in the coaster/ subdirectory.

Each of the files in there is a site definition. One site test is run for
each of those. When/if all of them have exited, the list of sites that
worked and the list of sites that did not work is output.

If you want to run a single site, say ./run-site coaster/coaster-local.xml
(for example)

To add new sites, put an file in the coaster/ subdirectory containing an
appropriate site definition.

In order to make site tests that many people can run, I usually make a
remote work directory and chmod a+rwxt on that remote work directory so no
matter who runs, Swift will not encounter permission problems.

> And what it takes to run that on a regular basis to find problems in sites and
> Swift *before* our users find them.

The main problem with the site tests is that they generally need
credentials, and its unclear what the right way to handle long term
testing credentials is.