[Swift-devel] Re: replication vs site score

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 9 12:08:45 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 09:56 -0700, Ioan Raicu wrote:
> Assuming you have more work to do, than the static resources
> allocated, you are not wasting any resources. The workflow will run
> until the resources are de-allocated, and whatever was not completed,
> will get rescheduled on the next round of static resources allocated.

Right. As opposed to the system figuring out that there is more work and
having workers ready appropriately.

>  As far as I know, this is the usage pattern of the static resource
> allocation on the BG/P for the few regular users, that are running
> several jobs per day, where each job is a static resource allocation
> of 1K~10K processors for several hours each. Their parameter space is
> large enough that they keep doing this over and over again, and they
> still more work to do!

Which, seems to show that, for static provisioning to work efficiently,
you need to fit work exactly into the pre-allocated resources, or have
pre-allocated resources to exactly fit your work load.

I'm still not sure why you would choose this instead of "allocate
resources on demand and de-allocate resources when you stop needing
them".