[Swift-devel] Re: replication vs site score

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 9 11:56:39 CDT 2009

Assuming you have more work to do, than the static resources allocated,
you are not wasting any resources. The workflow will run until the
resources are de-allocated, and whatever was not completed, will get
rescheduled on the next round of static resources allocated. As far as I
know, this is the usage pattern of the static resource allocation on the
BG/P for the few regular users, that are running several jobs per day,
where each job is a static resource allocation of 1K~10K processors for
several hours each. Their parameter space is large enough that they keep
doing this over and over again, and they still more work to do!

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 15:49 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>>

>>> Except when using pre-allocated resources, you are still waiting for
>>> them, but the waiting is not automated.
>>>
>> Also you have chosen to not attempt to opportunistically get any more once
>> you have decided you have waited enough.
>>

> Right. Overall it leads to inefficiencies and wasted cpu-hours, but it
> gives you a known set of resources, which is valuable. I think the known
> set of resources part can be achieved anyway if there was that
> back-channel mentioned in random chatter that informed swift about the
> nodes available.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department