[Swift-devel] Re: replication vs site score

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Apr 9 10:30:37 CDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Ian Foster wrote:

> I wanted to point out that when we use Falkon/coasters, we have full control
> over scheduling, so in that case we could in principle pre-compute schedules.

Coasters as they are now are still allocated on an opportunistic basis, so
once we have a coaster stuff could be scheduled to it, but when coaster
workers actually exist is as unknown as when jobs will run in the
non-coaster case, I think.

Where Falkon has been used for pre-allocated resources on machines, with
no dynamic allocation/unallocation, though, the available resources
probably are known well enough for this.

> However, in practice we still don't tend to have enough information about
> execution times for this to be that useful. At least that's my belief.

yes.