[Swift-devel] Expected behavior for scheduler slow-start with coasters?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Apr 7 03:37:31 CDT 2009

> Is there a simpler, alternate scheduler algorithm that you could plug in as a
> global, settable alternative to the current one when all sites are using
> coasters?

You can set the initialScore profile key very high[1] so that Swift will
starts at full load rather than low load. This is basically "the simpler,
alterative scheduler algorithm" that you are looking for.

You will however runinto a different manifestation of the same problem
that coastersPerNode does not work properly and will likely attempt to
massively overallocate workers.

Its not a bug in the scheduler - its a bug in the implementation of
coastersPerNode that causes it to attempt to allocate one node per excess
job.

In the longer term, as Mihael said, the interface between the scheduler
and execution systems needs to change because coasters don't fit in the
present abstraction very well.

[1] (to about 100 - the actual formula is rather opaque and I have to
rederive it every time because I never write it down)