[Swift-devel] Expected behavior for scheduler slow-start with coasters?

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 6 18:18:59 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 17:53 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> OK, sounds reasonable.
>
> For what its worth, Glen provided another example of coasters going idle
> while there are jobs ready to run.

Or maybe the jobs don't fit in the time some of the workers have left.

In other words don't be surprised that workers are not the same as the
jobs they are meant to run, because that's obvious.

There are only two promises related to how workers are allocated: no
more workers than jobs will be started (modulo the broken
coastersPerNode issue - and this promise may have to be dropped if we do
block allocations) and that no worker will stay idle for more than a
certain amount of time, which is currently 10 minutes (probably too
large).

> Nothing more to say on this, except to point out that it affects more
> than just startup.

Where "it" may be a very different it.