[Swift-devel] Expected behavior for scheduler slow-start with coasters?

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 6 17:43:23 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 17:32 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> OK, this one seems to be more of a nuisance/anomaly that we can set
> aside for now I think.
>
> Opening up the throttle a bit should make this a minor issue.
> Eventually, you'd hope it would fill available coasters when there is
> demand, or at least base the rampup on the fast that jobs started, and
> not wait for them to finish. Then it would sense faster that there were
> more ready workers.

Yes. I mentioned this a while ago, that with coasters, throttling
guesses become unnecessary. You simply throttle to the number of
available workers.

This, however, falls out of the model we started with, so there are some
possibly non-trivial changes to swift needed in order to support this
with coasters, while still keeping the old behaviour without coasters.