[Swift-devel] plotting using gkrellm

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:44:32 CDT 2008

Hi all,
I have been thinking about how to plot performance data from Falkon at
runtime while experiments are running.  Initially, I tried ploticus and
a simple web server, which would regenerate plots every 60 seconds, but
it was a fragile solution, which didn't always work well. I have always
liked how the gkrellm monitor looked and performed, and started thinking
about what API it might have. After 5 min of searching through google, I
found a plug-in for it that allows you to read an arbitrary text file
and plot numerical values by gkrellm :)  After a few hours with fiddling
with the format of the log files to be read by gkrellm, and the
appearance of gkrellm, here is what I have:
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu/projects/Falkon/plots/Falkon-1M-gkrellm.jpg
where running 1M tasks, of 60 seconds each, on an emulated BG/P with
160K CPUs. The graph represents about 8 minutes of real time, in which
the experiment started from scratch, and completed.

Since it was relatively little effort, and the results are quite nice
(especially for demos, I am thinking of SC), I think it would be nice if
Swift tried to export some of its log info in the right format to be
able to view the data in gkrellm in real time as the experiment progresses.

Here is an example of the log format, which takes the first value of the
last line in the falkon-log.txt file, and creates a new file
gkrellm-log.txt with the right formated log, ready for gkrellm to read
with the fchart plugin (http://lasr.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/gkrellm-fchart.html):
        tail -n 1 falkon-log.txt | awk '
        {
        printf($1 "\n");
        printf($1 "\n");
        printf("NORMAL\n");
        printf($1 "\n");
        printf("!!TOOLTIP!!\n");
        printf("!!EOF!!\n");
        }' > gkrellm-log.tmp
        cp gkrellm-log.tmp gkrellm-log.txt

I simply have this code in a while loop that goes on forever, and sleeps
1 second between iterations.

Cheers,
Ioan

Ioan Raicu