[Swift-devel] discussion for swift output file path

Zhao Zhang zhaozhang at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 6 14:39:38 CST 2008

Hi, All

I am working on integrate the Collective IO system and swift on BGP.
Before that, for the purpose of put swift into production work,
we need to change the output file path. For now, wrapper.sh would copy
all output files to jobdir/shared/, on BGP, all output files will
be written to one directory, which I am sure will cause the GPFS lock
mechanism, thus introduce unacceptable latency.

So the easiest way to fix this is "make a hierarchical directory in
shared/ and we already did in info/ and jobs/". Several changes we need:

place-need-change
                                             diffculty
1. change vdl-int.k: create hierarchical directory in shared/,
                                     straightforward
2. change wrapper.sh: copy files from local ramdisck to GPFS using dd
instead of cp,      straghtforward.
3. change somewhere in swift to make swift know where the data is, the
path of the output file in jobdir/shared/    unknown

Any comments will be appreciated.

best wishes
zhangzhao