[Swift-devel] Re: [Swift-user] Swift finished with errors

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 29 19:15:34 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 00:06 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>
> > > This is a fairly conservative default that a user is free to change if
> > > they really want to; on shared systems, which is where most people
> > > seem to be running swift, I'd much prefer that this doesn't flood the
> > > system with CPU intensive processes.
> >
> > I'm talking about localhost.
>
> yes, so am I. most people's localhost is a shared system. it seems fairly
> unusual (as in: you do it, and I do it, and that's about it) for people to
> run swift on a single-user system.

The ratio of usefulness to effort for this discussion is going towards
zero, but... the point is still whether 2 vs. larger single digits means
the difference between a responsive system and a non-responsive one. Not
whether 2, not whether the system is shared or not, but whether 4 or 8
causes visibly more distress than 2.