[Swift-devel] external datasets

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue May 27 18:08:27 CDT 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> It should theoretically be able to handle restarts properly, no?

With a variable-based restart mechanism, I think it will remember that the
variable has been closed. With filename-based restarts, I think no.

Perhaps restarting might bring up the same kind of problems as replication
and retries - if some data processing got half-way through and then
abandoned/broken/whatever, the various things Swift does to make
application execution appear atomic wrt application output files won't
happen here.