[Swift-devel] Re: [Swift-user] what is wrong with restart5.swift?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue May 27 05:45:12 CDT 2008

(moved to swift-devel)

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> > I also think that is(was?) the only correctness problem with restarts at
> > the moment.
>
> There was also the ability to persuade a mapper (in particular temp
> mappers) to use specific files instead of something of their choice.

If by temporary mappers you mean the concurrent mapper, then there is not
a correctness problem there at the moment, I think.

There is a problem (I think) with input mappers, where if the input file
set is changed between restarts then mappings will be different.

An example of this (which I have seen a real user do) is when a workflow
outputs files that match an input file specification - subsequent runs
then had more input files, and in some cases those would be mapped
differently.

That is a fairly broad problem, though. Forcing mapping of some subset of
a mappers files would not address this; forcing all mapping to be
enumerated and stored ready for restarts would. But that changes how
mappers fit in (for example, not letting them invent mappings
dynamically).