[Swift-devel] proper way to run swift on resource using condor?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 21 07:50:56 CDT 2008

Hi Mike,

Let me try to clarify.

I think you used scripts to generate Condor submit files when you used
the Purdue site without Swift.

Using GRAM, you could have written scripts that were independent of the
site scheduler: they would work work on Condor, PBS, LSF etc. Thats the
purpose of GRAM, to provide a scheduler-independent means of submitting
jobs.

One can use GRAM through Condor-G as well: you write submit files,
Condor sends jobs to GRAM, and GRAM sends them to the local scheduler.

Swift talks (mainly) to GRAM, so when you use Swift, you're also
scheduler-independent. And in most cases, thats the way we suggest
running Swift.

- Mike